Thursday, August 22, 2013

Woman of the Week: Linor Abargil


Linor Abargil


A few months ago, I returned from studying abroad in Cape Town, South Africa. While away, I was able to complete three portraits. Three portraits, in four-and-a-half months, and in a new environment was more than I had hoped for. I had been nervous that I would lose motivation to paint and keep up with my blog while abroad. However, it seemed the opposite occured.

The real challenge, I discovered, was coming home. After about a week with my family, I went straight to work at my internship in D.C. Although I was working for an organization that helped women worldwide lead change in their communities, I did little blogging, and even less painting. I was meeting and learning about so many amazing women throughout the day, yet was producing nothing. I made lists of women I wanted to paint and post about, but actually creating content felt like pulling teeth.

I thought I had lost my spark; I honestly didn't know if I would ever produce another painting; and then I felt guilty and responsible to all those who looked to me as an example of someone striving to make a difference.

In the beginning of summer, I had the chance to meet former Miss World Linor Abargil as she toured cross country to promote her new film "Brave Miss World". Linor, crowned Miss Israel in 1998, was raped in Italy by an Israeli travel agent just two months before being crowned Miss World. After returning to Israel, Linor pressed charges against her rapist and became a symbol of hope for other victims of domestic violence and abuse. By encouraging other victims to speak out, Linor challenged the culture of silence that allows injustices against women to persist.

Linor was at the top of my list of women to paint. I was eager to share her story and the trailer for her film that moved me deeply. When I began to form her right eye, I thought I saw her peeking through the blank watercolor paper. But then I began the nose, and I lost her. She slipped through the strokes and I couldn't find Linor no matter how many layers of paint I added to bring her back. Linor's portrait was the longest one I took to produce. And I grew anxious when I thought I might have to give up.

However, about a month after beginning the painting, I can finally and happily say Linor is complete. Linor's strong will and passion for change helped me remain focused on my ultimate goal: to share Linor's story and pay tribute to her through my artwork. I am so grateful to Linor for helping me reclaim my spark and for her unwavering dedication to women and girls around the world.

Below is the trailer for "Brave Miss World":

2 comments:

  1. Hello!

    I am Justina, at the moment I live and study in Finland. It seems that we are both interested in fighting for womens rights. I am searching for my practice placement in Africa. Could you share your information about your stay in Cape Town? I would be more than glad to hear about it!!!

    My email is : ssaixe@yahoo.com

    I hope I will hear from you soon!
    Good luck with good intentions!

    Greetings,
    Justina Paulauskaite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    My name is Regina, and I am a student at American University, I love your art and the meaning behind it! Your personal brand of activism is inspiring, and your talent is incredible! I work with a non-profit in Maryland called Community Bridges Inc. (http://communitybridges-md.org/) we serve girls in a curriculum-based, after school program. We will be doing a unit on activism and I would really love it if you would consider coming to speak to them about your art and what inspired you to make it. It would be an incredible treat for them to meet you and have you to look up to! Please email me at reginaamonge@gmail.com if you are interested! Thanks so much for all the work you do to shine light on women who more than deserve it!

    ReplyDelete