Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Hangout with Somaly Mam, Rachel Lloyd and Nicholas Kristof


    This past Thursday I participated in a google hangout with Nicholas Kristof, Somaly Mam and Rachel Lloyd on the topic of sex trafficking and modern day slavery. All three speakers are experienced and extremely knowledgeable in the field of women's issues worldwide. Nicholas Kristof is one of the authors of Half the Sky and is a cutting edge reporter for the New York Times that has brought to light many issues including maternal health, human trafficking, and women's education. He is dedicated to this cause and speaks eloquently and accurately of the issues regarding women and how to go about resolving them. He is realistic in his vision and puts his own life on the line in order to help the international community. If I were to feature a portrait of a man on my blog, Nicholas Kristof would be the first portrait to go up. I am truly inspired by his work and fearlessness in the fight for social justice.

  While the google hangout was public and the speakers could not see me, it was amazing to welcome the participants into my living room. I truly felt a part of the fight and the campaign towards justice. It was amazing to hear from Somaly Mam and meet her on a more personal level. To read about her story, you can look at my previous post titled "Somaly Mam". The google hangout was effective in bringing the speakers face to face with the population of advocates they have inspired. The heroes that I had previously idolized from an outside perspective became friends and partners in my journey towards freedom. Hearing from Somaly Mam directly, I realized that she is more than the organization she runs and the work she has accomplished. Her background and pain as a victim of human trafficking will forever be with her and propels her to move forward and help others. I was reminded of how human she is by her humility. Despite her success, Somaly Mam is honest about her weaknesses and the struggle of moving forward from a dark past. She made me realize that as a human being, Somaly and I are no different. While our age, experiences and current activities may vary, our potential as human beings are the same. I am further encouraged that I can make waves for women worldwide as she has done.

    Rachel Lloyd was the one participant I did not know coming into the google hangout. However, I am grateful I was able to meet her and hear from her face to face because unknowingly, I had purchased her book Girls Like Us online for further reading. At 13 years of age, Lloyd fell victim to sex trafficking. In 1997, at 22 years of age, she emigrated to the United States turning her life around providing help to women in the sex industry. In 1998, Lloyd started Girls Education and Mentoring Services (GEMS) in New York to empower girls and support victims of sex trafficking in America. Lloyd's insight on ways to help girls and women susceptible to human trafficking provided me with a new prospective on the fight for freedom. While rescuing girls in the middle of the night from the streets or from brothels sounds appealing and exciting, mentoring girls and supporting women in the community in which we live can actually be more beneficial. She highlights mentoring and tutoring programs, and how helping a girl graduate high school can save her life. By looking at and mediating the risk factors threatening women, we can help stifle sexual slavery. Fighting poverty at home, providing role models and mentors to young girls, encouraging schooling in impoverished places can all help reduce the risk of human trafficking at home. The efforts of teachers, coaches, doctors, social workers, religious leaders etc. all have the opportunity to impact girls in a positive way that can provide them with a better future. No matter what our profession, we can help end modern slavery by being of service to our communities and forming a safer and more healthy environment for our most vulnerable inhabitants. Lloyd made me realize that wherever we go in life, we can make a positive impact.

    I have provided the video of the google hangout for those who wish to see it themselves. If you are new to this cause, I hope this plants a seed in your mind and heart that will grow and encourage you to join the fight. Know that you matter and that your actions matter. We are all connected and what we do can save lives. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment