Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Time to Act

This is my fourth attempt at a blog. I composed my first blog three years ago in an effort to organize my thoughts in a comedic and meaningful way. However, due to laziness I discontinued my work. My two followers were greatly disappointed, but my mother and older sister soon got over it.

My next blog was inspired by a Shabbat dinner (a dinner on Friday night beginning the Jewish day of rest) between a group of my Jewish friends at school and Austrian and German non-Jewish foreign exchange students. We discussed the Holocaust and the presence of Neo-Nazi parties still in existence across the world. I went home that night filled with passion for change. I spent hours online researching hate groups and neo-nazis. I read their platforms, tracked news articles and saw pictures of veteran Nazis showing off memorabilia from the war still wishing Hitler had prevailed. I was heated and disgusted and scared, and with those feelings, my next blog was born. And a few days later it was put to rest.

The third blog I attempted to create was a food blog to keep my recipes while I explored cooking in my new apartment at school. I had three posts until school work kicked in and I didn't have time for elaborate meals.

The problem I have is a passion misdirected, in desperate need of guidance that wants to save the world but does not know how. My journey to write for what I believed in began selfishly with my own trivial matters taking the forefront of discussion. My next blog was filled with passion, but had little direction. My third blog diminished because I lost motivation and time. So this time, I want to change. With the new year, I want to commit myself to creating an online space for innovative thinking and social change. I want to give it time when I have no time. I want to stay passionate, committed and dedicated. This is the beginning of my concrete journey to repair the world.

So, where do I begin?

I am beginning with women.

Inspired by Half the Sky, both documentary and film, I have decided to create a space to do my own advocating for the women of the world. This is a cause that has ignited something within me that has yet to wane. Surprised by my own ignorance to oppression against women, I want to take a stand. I want to spread awareness. I want to save people. Providing women with better lives and opportunities helps more than just individuals. Saving women can save families, save communities, and I believe can save the world.

I have created this blog as a means to share my artwork as I make a collection of women who have and are making a difference across the world. Alongside their portraits, I will share the story of their fight for justice.

Please follow as an opportunity to become involved in the fight for freedom for women worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment